Monday, January 7, 2013

Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies

Ok, a few things on the agenda for today. First of all, we just got back from an amazing weekend retreat with my husbands alma mater. It was so so nice to see my "once a year" friends, you know the ones that we always say " We really have to get together at least once this year" and then we go and see each other once a year at this retreat....Yep, those! Ok, I know, I know it's my fault we missed the BBQ, we will be there this year, and we will bring cake!! So that was first of all. Second, wow- it was an amazing boost to my ego, and slightly disconcerting to hear how many people actually know that I hate baby clothes snaps and that we were in the Poconos this summer! People I haven't seen in years  follow my blog, and although I generally feel like I am talking to a blank screen, people are actually listening. Scary stuff, man. I should be careful about what I ramble about. Anyways, on to other news....you know whats right around the corner? That terrifying time of year: Midwinter Vacation...bum bu de dum! 
My basic theory is to go into it with a military plan of absolute precision leaving no time for the kids to drive me up the wall, down the block and out of town.  We recently made these adorable cookies, and I think they are definite vacation material: They come out looking cute, even the ones that the kids made themselves and they are great for all ages- Z-Monkey was in charge of reading the ingredients and rolling the cookies in sprinkles, Little D. handled some reading and rolled out the dough, and S-Monkey did a little of everything and ate sprinkles. And even my Grumpy Little Bundle of Joy ( I've got to come up with a better name before he develops a complex. Any ideas?) did his part by snoozing in the swing...shhhhh don't tell him we caught him actually not crying! 
Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies
1 recipe sugar cookie dough ( I used this one from Allrecipes.com)
4 shades food coloring
Rainbow sprinkles
lollipop sticks (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Divide dough into 4 bowls. Use a generous amount of food coloring to tint each bowl of dough into a different color. Pull of a grape size ball of dough from each color. Combine into one ball and roll gently together- it should look like a beach ball. Roll that ball into a rope about 8 inches long- we found that when the ropes got too thin, the swirls didn't come out as nice. Start at one end of the rope, and roll the dough into a coil, twisting the rope as you go. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and insert a lollipop stick underneath the cookie. Bake for 18-20 minutes. For the sugar cookie recipe I used, I froze half the dough, and with the other half we made 22 assorted size cookies- ranging from 1 inch in diameter to 3 inches in diameter. 

And here's my little food stylist:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...