Monday, September 5, 2011

Sweet Dinner Rolls

When I think of the word "Dinner Rolls" this is the first image that comes to mind:

That's me. Can you see the resemblance? 

Dinner rolls are so 1950's, no? I speak from experience, obviously. But seriously, you say dinner rolls, I think " dinner party." You say "dinner party" I think 1957. But that's just me. Could be you go to dinner parties every week. And bring a pan of fresh dinner rolls along with you. And in case you do, here's a wickedly amazing recipe for fresh sweet dinner rolls:


Oh, and in case you don't go to weekly dinner parties, your family and friends will be forever in love with you for introducing them to this delicious idea. 

Sweet Dinner Rolls
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk or soy milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon)

Preheat oven to 400° F. Place warm water, and warm milk in a large bowl. Add sugar and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture starts to "foam." Add remaining ingredients, and knead for 5-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Divide dough into 12 even balls, and place in a 9x13 pan. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden. 
 Its a good idea to double this recipe, because if you do not, there will not be any left for the kids to take for lunch on their first day of school. 

23 comments:

  1. I have never been to a dinner party in my life, but I've eaten my share of dinner rolls! Love the looks of these. Bookmarking them to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look fluffy and amazing! Can't wait to try these out next time we have dinner guests :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try these out. My family adores hot bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a nice recipe and your rolls look delicious.I'm fairly new here and don't often comment but I occasionally jump in to say hello and give a high five for a really nice post. I really enjoy the time I spent here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww thanks Mary- thats nice! I love your site, its on my daily blogroll :) Your banner is so cool- everytime I see it, I get in the mood of salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, just happened upon your site while searching for a really sweet dinner roll. I want something almost as sweet as those hawaiian dinner rolls at the grocery... Is your recipe the right one for me??? Please reply asap as I would like to make these for Thanksgiving... ahead of time and freeze after shaping. P.S. Your rolls look absolutely perfect... my mouth is watering as I type!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi- Not sure if these are the same as hawaiin dinner rolls, I never tasted those. These are sweet, moist and fluffy! You can definitely freeze them baked and warm them in the oven, covered before serving. Hope they work out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. made them last night, they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are hands down the best dinner rolls i have made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you bake these on a baking sheet? need to know asap thanks!! I used all my pans for other things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! You can make them in any shape, on any sheet. I've even braided it before as challah.

      Delete
  11. WOW!! That was such a quick response thank you so much!! Have a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank, these were amazing. Easy to put together no need to buy from store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this but i put it in my bread maker and i put it under dough and now it is getting big like a loaf im gonna put it on bake next you think it will be good as a loaf??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm not so familiar with bread machines, but I think it would be fine as a loaf - you might need to adjust the baking time though.

      Delete
  14. Made these last Thursday and making again tonight! Sooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've tried many bun recipes and finally found one that is good ! It is always disappointing when you do a recipe exactly like it says so the it's just not good, you waste ingredients and time. This recipe I am saving !

    I put them in the oven for 15 minutes, did an egg wash and baked for another 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dough didn't seem to rise well and wondering what may have happened. Followed directions as shown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniis, I'm sorry that happened! There are lots of reasons why dough may not rise: Water is too hot, water is too cold, yeast is old, etc. I'm not sure what went wrong with your dough but that may be some of the reasons.

      Delete
  17. I have made these rolls so many times whether it's making them for holiday dinners or bringing them to dinner parties and they have always been such a big hit. They are nice and fluffy and slightly sweet which means i always have to double (or triple) the recipe. Definitely recommend these to anyone and everyone looking for a easy but delicious dinner roll!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My family loves this recipe and I make it right in my bread maker so it is super easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...