Monday, November 29, 2010

Whole Wheat Cowboy Cookies


I know this is going to sound ironic, but you are going to have to believe me on this one. I know how to cook healthy. Really, I do. I make salads, and whole wheat stuff, and steamed veggies and all. I also know the question that is circling your head at this very moment. 
"Where are they??, Where's all the healthy stuff?? Don't you know that 98% of the human population is at this very moment starting (or restarting) a diet?! 
Show us some healthy stuff!!" 
Yes, I hear you loud and clear. But the thing is, I believe that there is a place for everything and everything should be in it's place.  So having said that, 
Sugar+Whole Wheat≠ Healthy
 Whole wheat flour does not make everything magically healthy. Not a chance. There is no way you can make something healthy (and I mean really healthy) and still have it taste good. And you know what, if it tastes good- its not healthy. I know lot's of people who will disagree with me and tell me "But I have the most amazing whole wheat-spelt-flaxseed muffin recipe, and everyone says it tastes amazing."  That might be true, but please don't compare that to a chocolate chip banana crumb muffin. Its just totally different wavelengths. Now for anyone who has been following my ramblings thus far, you may be slightly confused at the title of this post. Didn't I just say that there's no point in making "Healthy Junk Food"?
 Spot on. These cookies aren't healthy! Gotcha didn't I?

Ok, now a few points about these cookies:

*Don't skip the rice krispies- they give the cookies an awesome crunch
*I am not sure if these cookies will come out the same with regular flour as they do with whole wheat flour- let me know if you switch it, and how it works for you.
*Make these soon- you'll thank me!
*Oh, but don't make them if you really are on a diet- then you'll just be mad at me...
*These are not the same thing as regular chocolate chip cookies
*Sorry for getting so philosophical on you today, next week I'll post something fun, I promise!


Whole Wheat Cowboy Cookies                       Makes 4 dozen cookies
1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup oatmeal (either reg. rolled or quick)
1 cup rice krispies
2 cups chocolate chips
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Cream together: both sugars, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
Gently stir in the rice krispies, oatmeal and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping teaspoonful onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° f
or approx. 15 minutes.



6 comments:

  1. These sure don't look whole wheat !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i ditto fiddy!!
    yummy.

    m.w.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nate the great and clanNovember 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM

    We love them!! Thanks for helping us use up all our rice krispies! Whole wheat makes them chewy and soo good! Now we want a real healthy and delicious cookie, come on you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can i use non whole wheat flour and make them really unhealthy and really good!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering the same thing, and I was told by someone who "knows their stuff" that the whole wheat adds to the chewiness. But if you decide to give it a try with regular- let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about healthy desserts- don't taste great and really not worth it.

    But other food can be delicious and truly healthy, believe me, I've done it.

    By the way, great blog! I'm drooling! I must remember to add this to my reader some time when it's not over an hour past bedtime...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...