Tuesday, September 20, 2011

By popular demand- Honey Cake

So I like to ramble about random and non-relevant ideas quite often. Sometimes I find myself going on and on about something, and I don't even remember how I started. I also start sentences way to often with "So" but that's a whole other issue. Anyways, see I'm off on a tangent here, and I barely even started. 
So let me focus : (See  there it is again! "So"Arrrrgghhhh!)

 1. There are no pictures today. I need to be up front with you guys, and if anyone is severely disappointed, please come back on Monday for your edible pictures. And if you are really desperate for pics go to Foodgawker and feast away my friend!


2. Back to my original point here, some people find it annoying that the week before Rosh Hashanah I am rambling on about cookie dough, and not posting relevant Rosh Hashanah recipes! That may be because my Rosh Hashanah menu at this exact moment is non-existent, but apparently no one cares! They want recipes! So by golly, recipes you shall get!

Here is my favorite, and only recipe for Honey Cake. Its from my friend and coincidentally my first neighbor that I had- you know, the "can I borrow a cup of sugar at 2AM, I only knocked because I saw your lights were on" type of neighbor....anyways, if a recipe is from DT, you can be sure its a good one! Until I tasted this honey cake at her house, I always associated honey cake with a dry loaf cake that came in those cardboard loaf pans from the grocery store. The type my grandmother pulled out of the cupboard when we came to visit. And the next time, and the next time, and the time after that too. The same cake. Actually, not sure if that's true, its just the image that it brings to my mind.  The point is, this recipe is NOT like that. In fact, it will blow that image right out of your mind, and straight into the Atlantic Ocean. Unless of course you live in California. In which case it would be in the Pacific ocean. Or possible the Mediterranean Sea if you live near there. My gosh, I am rambling today. Ok, please make this honey cake, and you will see what I mean:

Honey Cake
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs 
1 cup dark coffee (2 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 1 cup hot water)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup honey
3 cups flour

Combine all ingredients together, and mix until smooth and there are no lumps. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 inch pan. Bake in a preheated oven, at 350° for 45 minutes. 


And back to our usual sane programming on Monday.....




2 comments:

  1. hi. if i wanted to make loaf pans, how many do u suggest i do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say 3 long loafs, or 4 short loafs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...