Monday, September 19, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cream Pie

I love surfing food blogs. Although I am sure you know that about me already. If there could be a full time job that would require you to surf food blogs and drool all day, count me in! I see a bazillion recipes a day, and some are just nice recipes to make one day. Some are interesting ideas, but not my cup of tea. And some are absolutely amazingly brilliant. Which brings me to:
Spotted on and brilliantly executed by Love & Olive Oil. I always knew this recipe was a coming together of all things divine, but I just never got around to making it. Most likely because if I would, I would eat the whole thing, and they'd have to pull me out of my front door, kind of like this:
Yep, thats because Big D. does not like cookie dough. 
*Gasp* 
The horror of it, I know. But that still leaves me with the job of eating the entire pie by myself, with the help of three little monkey sized tummies. So when my fellow cookie dough enthusiast and awesome sister in law came for the weekend, this pie was top priority. And its a good thing she was there to help me. Because otherwise I would be stuck at the moment, and unable to share this goodness with you:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cream Pie

Brownie Crust:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder


Cookie Dough:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, room temperature
3/8 cup granulated sugar
3/8 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 tablespoons milk or soy milk
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
For Filling:
3/4 cups light brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups non dairy whipped topping or whole milk
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Garnish:
1 cup non dairy whipped topping
3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 . To prepare the brownie crust, melt the margarine in a medium bowl. Cool
slightly and add sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir just until combined. Pour into a greased 9'' pie pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Set aside to cool. To prepare the cookie dough filling, beat margarine and sugars using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda and salt on low speed, or by hand. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Gently press the dough onto the cooled brownie crust. To prepare the cream: In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Stir in 1 cup of whipped topping or milk, mix until smooth, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Beat the egg yolks with the remaining cup of milk. Temper the egg mixture with a small amount of the slightly cooled milk mixture then blend this into the larger saucepan with the cooling milk mixture. Return saucepan to the heat and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly, lower heat and simmer until mixture is the consistency of thick pudding, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in butter and vanilla. Spread cream evenly over cookie dough layer. Whip remaining whipped topping until stiff. Add in sugar and vanilla. Spread evenly over the cream layer. Garnish with extra cookie dough or mini chocolate chip cookies. Enjoy!

Oh, and by the way- here's the kicker:
Big D. LOVED it! 
You can never win....

13 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds unreal!! I've made a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie before but that creamy layer is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY!! So can I pay you to make it for me and send it over to my house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jess- I love finding little strokes of genius on the web :)
    Diane- are you kidding?? You just have to come back to us for Shabbos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you bake the cookie dough layer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks amaaazing!! so the only layer baked is the brownie? i'm all for raw cookie dough, but nervous about serving to guests! can we use our own favorite cookie dough recipe in place of the one you listed, or does it just work better with yours? CANT WAIT TO TRY IT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon- No, since its eggless, it does not need to be baked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh - didnt realize it was eggless, ignore previous question :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing!!! Can this be made in advance and frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure- just defrost completely before serving. It will probably take about 2+ hours to defrost on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just made this and it looks soooo good, i just didn't do the whipped topping yet. do you serve it room temperature? also, how much vanilla do you put in the filling. i don't see that it says how much..also, just curious, how long did it take you to make it? it took me at least an hour and a half! also, Thanks so much for all your recipes! they are AMAZING! and your pictures are SUPER! you must have a really good camera!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous- thank you! I dont remember how long it took to make, but you can definitely make it in stages, and assemble it later. I served it chilled from the refrigerator- and sorry about the vanilla! It got lost somewhere on the page! Its one teaspoon. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi I just made this again for Succos except that I used the meringue from http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2009/04/chocolate-graham-cracker-cupcakes-with.html
    instead of the whipped cream. IT WAS WAY BETTER!!! and I preheated my oven to 450 and put it in for two minutes for the really cool effect that she got..try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um. Wow. As in, REALLY WOW. I am bookmarking this!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...