Monday, December 27, 2010

Cinnamon Latte Whoopie Pies...plus something for the snow day....



I finally got my hands on this really cool book called "Whoopie Pies." It was so much fun flipping through the all different flavor combos and imagining baking them. But when it came down to actually baking whoopie pies, I was stumped. Which whoopie pie combo should I make? Being that I have a serious issue with making decisions (Dearest, what would you like for supper tonight?) I was just plain stuck. So I did what any sane and logical person would do- I made up a new one! Cinnamon Latte Whoopie Pies. I was really happy with how it came out, especially since they are inspired by my signature latte's. I am not even sure if  my signature lattes actually qualify as lattes. According to Wikipedia, it doesn't seem like they do, but honestly I really don't care. Since I made up the recipe, I get to call them whatever I want- right? Isn't that the coolest part about making up your own recipes? 

Cinnamon Latte Whoopie Pies
Cake Part
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted margarine or butter
4 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk*
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or silicon baking mats. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk together. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together margarine, shortening and both sugars until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and buttermilk and beat until combined. In a measuring cup, combine the milk, baking soda, and vinegar. Add the milk mixture to the batter along with the flour mixture and beat on low just until combined. Add the vanilla and beat on medium for 2 minutes until completely combined.


Using a spoon, or a small melon baller, drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto one of the prepared baking sheets and repeat, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cakes begin to brown. Remove from oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet for at least five minutes before removing.


*To make a substitute for buttermilk, measure the milk or soy milk and remove 1 tablespoon of milk. Replace with vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to ferment. 


Latte Cream Filling
1/2 cup margarine or butter
2 cups powder sugar
3 tablespoons whipping cream or rich's whip
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee


Beat together the butter/margarine and powder sugar until combined. In a small bowl, mix together whip cream and coffee. Add cream mixture and beat on high until creamy, about 3 minutes. Transfer frosting to a Ziploc and cut off a corner. Squeeze a dollop of cream on the bottom of a cake/cookie, and top with another cake/cookie. For an extra touch, roll the sides of the whoopie pie in chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips. 


And now for the snow day....


One of my best childhood memories is coming in after playing in the snow to a steaming cup of hot chocolate. I distinctly remember my mother standing near the stove with a small saucepan of hot chocolate simmering, patiently waiting for us. These lattes are for the kids at heart that had to shovel their cars out of mountains of snow....or anyone else who'd like to taste 'em...
Cinnamon Latte ( one serving)
1 cup milk, or enough to fill a normal size coffee mug
For the following, I don't use a measuring spoon, I use a regular kitchen teaspoon:
Add:
1 flat spoonful instant coffee
1 heaping spoonful sugar
1 regular spoonful chocolate milk powder
dash of vanilla- just a drip, or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla sugar
dash of cinnamon (optional)


Microwave on high for 1 minute and 40 seconds. Stir briskly and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. yummy! what a nice mommy!!
    THanks for remembering.
    m.w.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful! Might have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmmm
    sure is ur style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...these look fantastic! You've got a great blog going here. I will definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound heavenly! Brilliant flavour and they look gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...