Saturday, December 4, 2010

Big D's Latkes!



Latkes is the kind of thing that either you have a great recipe or you don't....so this is for all those of you who don't have a great recipe, never tried making latkes before, or never heard of latkes before. Or all three!

Latkes

10 medium potatoes, peeled
4 eggs
1 large onion
1/4 cup flour
1-2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
oil


Shred the potatoes and onions, if you have a food processor, now's the time to use it! Add eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well. Heat about a half an inch of oil in a large skillet. I recently learned that the trick to amazing latkes is in the temperature of the oil. I tested it out last week, and wow, it really worked! The oil must be very hot in order for the latkes to be crispy on the outside,and tender on the inside. You can tell when the oil is ready when it appears to be shimmering or jiggling ( depends on your point of view on life  ) Spoon a heaping spoonful of batter into the pan and fry 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. If the latke doesn't sizzle right away, the oil is not hot enough. Drain on paper towels, and serve with sour cream or applesauce.


*Stay tuned for a delicious donut recipe coming your way....Happy Chanukah!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This food looks great-mind sending some over here to the big apple? We are a little pressed for time and we are really hungry. Just let us know when your bake shop will open. Maybe Mrs.L. can join you and the famous bakery will finally open. All right that will have to be it for now as time is running and I have to run to the next stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I had a good latke recipe, but I tried yours which wasn't so much different but they came out great! I got a kick out of your donuts. They are absolutly stunning, but I remember when your sister made donuts maybe 9 years ago and I was like, people make donuts? It never dawned on me. Well after years of watching her and hearing all about it I also made them. And now I sometimes have to talk myself out of it and say most people buy donuts. Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...