Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Spaghetti and Sauce



One of the problems of posting dinner recipes is that obviously I would only post recipes that I think are blog worthy ( in other words: "My favorite dinners") The problem with that is after a while the posts start sounding redundant. I think the reason why I have so many favorite dinners is because each dinner is a different kind of favorite- my favorite pasta dinner, my favorite chicken dinner etc. Spoken like a true foodie. Anyways enough rambling, here is my one of my favorite pasta dinners, introduced to me by the one and only, Big D. Thanks hun!
Spaghetti and Sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
dash of salt
garlic powder
onion powder
red pepper flakes
oregano

Saute onion and garlic in oil in a large frying pan or pot until it gets soft and translucent. Add pepper, celery and carrot, and saute for another 5-8 minutes, until the carrots start to get soft. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices to taste. Raise the flame to bring to a boil, and then lower the flame and let simmer on low heat for 1-2 hours, stirring every so often. Serve over pasta topped with shredded cheese. For those of you with a sweet tooth ( ie: me) you can add 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar to the sauce while it is cooking. If you have a sweet tooth but your husband does not ( ie: my husband) then you can add 1 tablespoon brown sugar to your plate on top of the sauce. Note: This sauce freezes excellently. It usually makes enough for six adults, so if you have extra you can always stick the sauce in the freezer for another night. 

Bet your frying pan isn't as dirty as mine! And I say that with pride.

4 comments:

  1. Is this the fancied up version of Mommy F's good ole spaghetti and sauce Thursday night suppers?

    Looks YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up with the sugar. Thats not from Big D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SAID brother dear, its fancied up! All of us who know u know the sugar is NO WAY from u!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...