Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hash Browns



 Z-Monkey generally comes home from school like a grizzly bear. Literally. Until there is some yummy food settled in his growling tummy, its not very pretty. So on a day that I was planning on making baked chicken, and baked hash browns, I had a cake in the oven, and a half hour till Z-Monkey was due home. Aaaah! I only have one oven, so I had to think of a solution fast - in 30 minutes basically. Being that necessity is the mother of all invention, I quickly switched dinner to fried chicken and fried hash browns. Its a good thing I did, since otherwise I would have never discovered the goodness of fried hash browns! I used the leftover oil from frying the chicken, so I am sure that added some flavor, but either way, they were amazing. And yes, Z-Monkey agreed, and reverted back to his usual puppy dog self. All's well, ends well!

Hash Browns
8 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, diced
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sugar


Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the potatoes. Cook for about 8 minutes, until you can poke them with a fork, but not too soft. ( Can you use the word al dente for potatoes?) Drain the water, and add the spices. Note: The measurements that I put down are estimates. Usually I give a few shakes, taste, and shake some more. Stir the potatoes gently. Heat the oil in a large skillet,and saute the onions until translucent. Add the potatoes, and stir gently, until the potatoes are heated through. 
( For a lower fat version, use 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, and after combining the potatoes, onions and spices, pour into a 9x13 pan. Cover and bake at 400° for about an hour. 

1 comment:

  1. Hashbrowns... YUM!!! Such an under appreciated comfort food. I swear, the only time I can ever really enjoy some is when I make the occasional stop at Waffle House. Of course, these look like they'd knock the pants off of the Waffle House shoe strings!

    PS...you just can't beat the crunchy, fried, goodness...especially when there's fresh baked cake to follow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...